Written by: dr. Alexandra Francesca Chandra, MRes
Spikevax COVID-19 vaccine, or more widely known as Moderna Vaccine, is an mRNA vaccine, which is a vaccine that contains the genetic component (mRNA) of SARS-COV-2 virus which encodes for its spike protein. This vaccine allows our body to make copies of the spike protein so that our immune system can recognize and fight the SARS-COV-2 virus which causes COVID-19.1,2
Authorization for Moderna Vaccine
Moderna Vaccine is available under Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to prevent COVID-19 on people aged 18 years and above.3
In Indonesia, Moderna vaccine is approved by Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan Republik Indonesia (BPOM RI) or Indonesian FDA for emergency use.4
Moderna Vaccine Receiver
Moderna vaccine can be given to people aged 18 years and above. This vaccine is safe for both pregnant and lactating women. If you have one of the health conditions below, please ask for your doctor’s advice on when to get vaccinated:1,2
- History of cardiac inflammation (myocarditis, pericarditis, endocarditis) in the past 6 months
- Acute rheumatic fever or rheumatic heart disease
- Dilated cardiomyopathy for people under 30 years old
- Congenital heart disease
- Severe heart failure
- Heart transplant receiver
- History of syncope at previous vaccinations
Administration of Moderna Vaccine
Moderna vaccine is injected into the upper arm for 2 doses. The second dose is administered in 4-6 weeks (around 1 month) after the first dose.1,2
Contraindication of Moderna Vaccine
The followings are the contraindications of Moderna vaccine:1,2
- Anaphylactic (severe allergic reaction) to other mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (e.g. Pfizer, Moderna)
- Anaphylactic to vaccine components including polyethylene glycol / PEG
- History of myocarditis and/or pericarditis after receiving mRNA COVID-19 vaccine (e.g. Pfizer, Moderna)
Benefits of Moderna Vaccine
Several benefits of Moderna vaccine include:1,2
- Those who received vaccine completely (2 doses) are 94% less likely to get symptomatic COVID-19 compared to those who are not vaccinated
- This vaccine is found effective in elderly aged >65 years old (86%)
- Protection develops around 2 weeks after dose 1 is given although it may not last long. Hence, second dose is necessary for optimal protection although it is not known how long this protection will last.
Side Effects of Moderna Vaccine
||Redness/swelling/pain in the injected area, lymph node enlargement of the injected arm, headache, tiredness, fever/chills, muscle/joint pain (gone in 1-2 days)
||Non severe allergic reaction include: rash, hives, itching, swelling*
||Inflammation of the heart (myocarditis and/or pericarditis), usually symptoms appear a few days after the second dose of Moderna: chest pain, breathing difficulties, having fast beating/fluttering/pounding heart.*
||Severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) often occur within minutes to 1 hour after injection. Characterized by: breathing difficulties, swelling of the face/throat, having fast beating/pounding heart, bad rash all over the body, weakness**
Please see your doctor if you have the symptoms* or go to the emergency room immediately if you experience severe allergic reaction** after you leave the vaccination area.
Important Points After Getting Vaccinated with Moderna
After receiving Moderna injection, please note several points below:1,2
- There is no vaccine which is 100% effective. Thus, we may still get infected with COVID-19 after vaccination.
- It is not known yet how long the protection from Moderna vaccine will last
- It is important to note that COVID-19, although mild or even asymptomatic, can still infect others. Thus, we should continue other preventive measures like physical distancing, hand washing, wearing a face mask, COVID-19 testing and isolation according to government’s regulation.
- Australian Government. COVID-19 Vaccination: Information on Sppikevax (Moderna) COVID-19 Vaccine. Latest update: 7 Sept 2021. Available from: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/09/covid-19-vaccination-information-on-spikevax-moderna-covid-19-vaccine.pdf.
- US Food and Drug Administration. Fact Sheet for Receipients and Caregivers Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine to Prevent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Indiviudals 18 Years of Age and Older. Latest update: 27 Aug 2021. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/media/144638/download.
- US Food and Drug Administration. Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine. Latest update: 31 Aug 2021. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/moderna-covid-19-vaccine.
- Badan POM. Siaran Pers Tambah Pilihan Jenis Vaksin COVID-19 di Indonesia. Latest update: 7 September 2021. Available from: https://www.pom.go.id/new/view/more/pers/615/Badan-POM-Terbitkan-EUA-Moderna-COVID-19-Vaccine-Sebagai-Vaksin-Pertama-dari-Platform-mRNA.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Moderna. Latest update: 19 Aug 2021. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/Moderna.html.
Original content from :
Publish on : September 22, 2021 11:18 am